CFA Great Lakes - Historical Footnotes

HISTORICAL FOOTNOTES

Early Cat Magazines

One of the earliest cat magazines in North America was published in the Great Lakes Region. The Cat Courier began publication in 1912 with Mrs. Elizabeth L. Brace of Rochester, NY as the editor and publisher. By September 1922, the magazine had changed ownership to Mrs. Gertrude Taylor of Detroit, MI. Subscription was $2.00 a year.

The Cat Courier
Volume II, Number 15, June 28 and July 5, 1913
Courtesy of The CFA Foundation, Inc.

On May 1, 1938 The Cat Courier was combined with The Cat Gazette, which had started publication in October, 1934, as the "official" magazine of The Cat Fanciers' Association. The magazine was originally published in New Jersey, and moved to Dearborn, Michigan in 1934.

Note that CFA stud books were not printed while this magazine was in publication, as it included a listing of new registrations each month. Volumes XVI through XXI were printed in the magazine.

The Cat Gazette
May, 1938
Courtesy of The CFA Foundation, Inc.

Starting in December, 1939, The Cat Gazette was merged into the All-Pets Magazine, which was published by Lightner Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois. The publication of new CFA registrations ceased with the change in ownership, and CFA again began printing Stud Books with Volume XXII.


Gertrude Taylor



Mrs. Gertrude Taylor (Taylor-Sweenie or Taylor-Sweeney in some references), of Detroit, MI, was a very active person in the cat fancy in its early years.

She was a CFA judge, and served as Vice-President of CFA in 1918 and 1922-1927. She was elected CFA President in 1928 and served until 1933. In 1933, she was part of a group of 8 clubs and several officers and judges who broke away from CFA to form the United Cat Clubs of America, Inc.

She was active as editor and publisher of The Cat Courier for numerous years, with the magazine celebrating it's 25th anniversary in 1937. In addition, she operated a 'Cattery and Kennel Supplies' business in Detroit.


Ohio State Persian Club
From The Cat Courier, August, 1932
Courtesy of The CFA Foundation, Inc.


The Kentucky Cat Club was accepted as a member club of CFA in 1948. Mrs. Necolia W. Slobodian was the first club President, with Miss Mary P. DeMombron as Vice-President, and Mrs. Wanda L. Bott as Secretary-Treasurer. The club held its first show on February 5-6, 1949, with 229 entries. Mrs. Lillian D. Limpert was the officiating judge, and she received an orchid at the beginning of the show. Cash awards of $1.00 were presented to numerous "Bests"; prizes for "Specials" were $2.00, a silver teaspoon and a subscription to All-Pets Magazine.

Kentucky Cat Club
From the collection of The Feline Historical Museum
Courtesy of The CFA Foundation, Inc.


A Peek at the Past >>> Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

WHAT'S NEW?

Follow us on Twitter!